Submit a Proposal Before you send us your entire manuscript…
Please note that RMB no longer accepts hard-copy proposals. As such, all
proposals and manuscripts for consideration must be submitted via email (see
our Manuscript Guidelines
for specific details on preparing digital files). Responses will take up to
a minimum of six months to evaluate. You may submit your proposal to:
Children's Picture Books (in areas relating to the above topics)
At this time, RMB does not accept fiction, poetry, drama, self-help, family histories, self-publishing endeavours or corporate histories.
A typical proposal should consist of the following items:
1. A short cover letter that describes why you think your book should be published. Give us some examples of similar books that are currently on the market, and then tell us how yours is going to be different. Who is your target audience? Are you an expert on the subject matter of your book? What are your credentials?
2. A one-page synopsis of your book that we can use to prepare catalogues, sales sheets, press releases, and information about the book for booksellers
3. One sample chapter
4. If photography is an important component of your book, send us a few images.
5. A single-paragraph author biography
6. A recent colour photo of yourself (which may appear in your book)
7. A completed author questionnaire (click here to fill out the form online)
8. A list of your past publishing credits, if applicable
9. A list of media contacts who may be interested in your book. Indicate whether or not you know these contacts
10. A list of promotional ideas that may aid in the sale of your book
11. Any other information that may help us to market your book
We acknowledge the financial support of the Government of Canada through the Canada Book Fund and the Canada Council for the Arts,
and of the province of British Columbia through the British Columbia Arts Council and the Book Publishing Tax Credit.